Tuesday 27 April 2010

Mumbai Calling

So the ladies are back in the UK (well I sincerely hope they are!) and I am currently in Mumbai, where I am sweltering, if I thought Bangalore was hot I was in for a surprise in Mumbai.

But that's getting ahead of myself somewhat...

On Saturday I left Bangalore, after a gorgeous lunch with Jacqui. However as I took my somewhat obese suitcase down to the car the sky overhead turned black. I bade an almost tearful farewell to half the staff and Jacqs before climbing into my red cab for the last time. Almost immediately after pulling out of the hotel the very grey clouds emptied their tears over Bangalore. This deluge seriously hampered our attempts to get to the airport. The driver, Manju, was seriously concerned about whether we would make it time. Thankfully he'd arrived early and given us plenty of time. The problem with rain in Bangalore is twofold; one it hammers down and two it floods everything (some problem with sewers and roads and stuff!).

Nearly two hours later; with lots of detours, some incredibly small "roads", lots of rain and stuff we made it to the airport where I said goodbye to Manju. Check in was smooth and I found myself in the first class lounge having a cup of tea and watching the start of the 3rd place play off for the IPL. Good beginning, Bangalore took 2 early wickets (they went on to win while I was in the air!). When I boarded the plane I was the only person in the first class area, which meant I got a fair bit of attention. I then had a coach all to myself to take me to the airport from the plane. The joys of first class never cease to amaze me, it's a different world.

Once all the usual airport faff was done I booked an AC cab to take me to my friend's house. Mumbai is in many ways so very different to Bangalore. Where Bangalore appears to really stop after 11.30pm, Mumbai is still a hive of activity late into the night. And where we saw a few people sleeping rough on the streets in Mumbai there are thousands of people... The rickity cab, the crazy driving of Mumbai cab drivers, the strange mix of rich and poor side by side, the rich smells and the ridiculous heat. I felt a million miles away from home and yet felt at home all at the same time.

Charni Road has changed a bit since I was here 3 years ago and thus I got a bit lost. Praise the Lord for mobile phones, my friend's managed to direct the taxi driver to the right part of the road! The last 3 days here have been wonderful, so very very relaxed and laid back. Full of shopping, silliness, ridiculous heat (I know I am labouring this point but seriously it's way too hot!), lime soda, pepsi, chinese food, pasta, daal and rice, chocolate, shopping, a bit more shopping, silliness, scrabble, CSI, cinema (they play the national anthem and every stands for it before the showing!), rickity taxis, insanely crammed buses, more pepsi, more heat. Even with the fans constantly on it's still hot!

And now I am about to go and shop one last time before having one last meal before having one last sleep before I return home. I can't wait and yet I know I will miss the country, I love it so. This is Mumbai calling saying I'll be home soon (and back in the office next Tuesday!)

And here I am just Thomas or DT or Daaaaaaaavid, no longer Mr Thomas (until I board my final flight in the morning that is!), good night and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment